Information for incoming students
Since the academic year 2019/2020, we are using the online application portal EASY.Applications for an exchange place at the HfMT Cologne can only be submitted via this portal.
- You are a student at the partner university or college.
- You meet all legal prerequisites imposed by the Erasmus programme.
- You have been nominated by your university or college for this exchange.
- You submit a full set of application documents by the cut-off date ('deadline').The portal is open from 01.02.2020 - 15.04.2020.After that, no more applications can be submitted!
- Application form
- Learning Agreement
- Curriculum vitae in tabular form
- Letter of motivation
- 2 passport photographs
- a paper with links to an audition recording – approximately 15-20 minutes duration. The recording can be either video, audio or a combination, and must be uploaded to for example Vimeo, Dropbox or YouTube
- Letter of nomination from your university or college
- Evidence of German language skills Level A2
Duration of scholarship:
- the EASY portal is open from 01.02.2020 - 15.04.2020 for applications for both the winter and the summer Semester.
For further information refer to the service box under Downloads on the right.
What happens next, once you have sent your documents to Hochschule für Musik und Tanz (HfMT) through your International Student Office?
HfMT's coordinator will examine your application for completeness and fulfilment of all legal prerequisites.
Next, your documents will be forwarded to the Erasmus department reps who will then select suitable academic instructors or, if a specific instructor has been requested, will get in touch with the instructor of the applicant's choice. By mid-May, reviewed applications will be returned to the coordinator with a statement as to whether or not the given instructor is prepared to accept this student into his/her class. This should be considered a recommendation, not a decision.
At Hochschule für Musik und Tanz Köln, a commission decides on the admission of Erasmus students. This commission convenes in late May. Accordingly, the coordinators of the partner university or college will be notified of the results in early June.
If you have been admitted as an Erasmus student you will receive a letter of admission as well as more detailed information about your stay.
HfMT's Support Office (Betreuungsbüro) will be glad to assist you with any query or problem you may have, from registration matters to finding accommodation. Please contact the support staff at betreuungsbuero(at)hfmt-koeln(dot)de.
A course catalogue for HfMT can be found under Downloads on the start page.
If you have any questions concerning your Learning Agreement you may contact your department's Erasmus representative directly.
Department 1 (composition, conducting, piano, organ, accordion, guitar, mandolin, musical texture): Prof. Paulo Alvarez, e-mail: paulo.alvarez(at)hfmt-koeln(dot)de
Department 2 (violin, viola, violoncello, contrabass, orchestra conducting, baroque instruments and voice, cembalo): Prof. Michael Vaiman. e-mail: michael.vaiman(at)hfmt-koeln(dot)de, for old music: Prof. Gerald Hambitzer, e-mail: gerald.hambitzer(at)hfm-koeln(dot)de)
Department 3 (woodwinds, brass instruments, percussion, harp, saxophone): Prof. Robert Winn, e-mail: robert.winn(at)hfmt-koeln(dot)de
Department 4 (voice, music theatre): Prof. Kai Wessel, e-mail: kai.wessel(at)hfmt-koeln(dot)de
Department 5 (musicology, pedagogy, choir conducting, church music, teacher training): Prof. Jürgen Terhag, e-mail: juergen.terhag(at)hfmt-koeln(dot)de
Department 6 (jazz, pop): Anette von Eichel, e-mail: Anette.vonEichel(at)hfmt-koeln(dot)de
Dance, dance pedagogy, dance science: Prof. Martin Sonderkamp, e-mail: martin.sonderkamp(at)hfmt-koeln(dot)de
Do you have any further questions? If so, please do not hesitate to contact Ms. Gecks at heike.gecks(at)hfmt-koeln(dot)de.